Time warp

Thursday, January 7, 2016

I swear I woke up thinking it was Friday and at the same time thought I had only missed one day of posting about Mabel's journey, turns out I was totally wrong. Between days in the windowless NICU and the holidays, we have been in a serious time warp.

Tuesday was a really hard day. I had my postpartum follow-up and was a little emotional walking into the office. I was supposed to still be pregnant and the girl in front of me was probably due any day like I should have been. Then my OB had not been informed of Mabel's condition and I had to tell her, she was pretty shocked. Finally I had to wait a while to check out and the girl in front of me was there for her first prenatal appointment. I made it to the parking lot before I broke down.

Yesterday and today I have felt an unexplainable sense of peace. Nothing has happened to relieve the pain of this situation, but I haven't been nearly as sad and I know that this feeling could only be the result of God's love. 

Mabel graduated to a bigger bed a few days ago since she was keeping her body heat well. She gets to wear clothes now and I think she likes it much better. 


They are slowly weaning down her oxygen and pressure levels, and she continues to do pretty well. We are hoping that she can come off all breathing support before she comes home, but there are several steps to accomplish before we get there. Mabel is gaining weight, but slowly, so they have added extra calories to her milk. She has to show good steady weight gain over a certain amount of time in order to come home, so I am praying that this starts to pick up. She is still feeding through a feeding tube and the doctor said they can send her home on a feeding tube so she does not need to be bottle feeding or breast feeding in order to leave the hospital. However, I am praying that our baby girl learns to at least take a bottle, because I know that both Joe and I would happily hold her and give her a bottle any time during the day or night.

On a side note, thank you to all of you for the calls, messages, and most importantly, the prayers. We are so thankful for all of the support.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for clothes! That's huge! I hate that Tueaday was hard for you. So many triggers around pregnant women, and you are forever changed. You don't see the world as innocently as you did before, but I am learning that with that comes lots of wisdom. Praying for Mabel to gain weight, learn to take a bottle and come home to her beautiful room that you so carefully and thoughtfully prepared. You're such a good mommy. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes such strength to write but so thankful to read the progress Mabel is making, I love her name! Praying for a good Friday for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your heart and sweet Mabel with us- what a precious picture. Praying that that it won't be long before you have her home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying she'll be coming home soon- you are an amazing mama!

    ReplyDelete